Thursday, March 16, 2006

First crash!

Just had my first crash!

Fortunately, I was going slow enough that I didn't kill myself. My right arm is sore, and I suspect I would have broken it had been going faster (I think I just pulled some muscles or something -- it doesn't hurt when I move it or squeeze it, which is what I suspect would happen had I broken it), and I scraped up my knees (just got my new JR Alter Ego jacket today, but I'm still waiting on the pants). The bike took the worst of it. The shifter peg broke off, as did a metal bit I haven't identified yet. The left side of the handle bar is also messed up pretty badly. Otherwise it wasn't so bad. Mostly it's annoying, as now I have to get it fixed before I can ride it again. I guess the dealer will pick it up?

I'm not sure what I did wrong. I think I saw myself making a turn to wide and in my effort to get control I accidentally revved the throttle, and that was it. The throttle is super sensitive, and revs at the slightest touch, and I've suspected it would get me eventually. I guess the lesson I've learned is that I'm going to be more patient until the bike's controls are second nature to me.

3 comments:

Crumbolst said...

Oh!

Get right back on (after you fix it)!

Mustapha Mond said...

Absolutely!

I would have ridden it home, but had to settle for a sort of half-ride, riding the clutch since I couldn't shift out of 2nd.

If I can find the parts, I'll fix it this weekend.

dsgran said...

I think the best thing to do now is to give up. Honestly, you gave it your best shot, and it didn't work out. Whats important is that you tried. I'm proud of you for that. Perhaps you should embark on another exciting adventure, like knitting, or perhaps crocheting. Think of it this way, those long needles are rather dangerous, and you already have the protective helmet!