Thursday, March 01, 2007

Fail

On the down side, I did not finish reading In Cold Blood by Wednesday. I also have not finished Bodega Dreams. My work load is pretty fucking retarded, and the first place I slack is on the readings because there's nobody checking to make sure I've done them.

On the up side, I'm half finished with Stoner and Spaz (a quick read) and I finished the first section of Joan Didion's The White Album (highly recommended).

On the annoying side, I am not receiving much feedback from my teachers. My first two graded assignments have come back A and A-, which is nice, but the comments on my work in general are frustrating. Mostly it's scattered, generic praise, like "Good!" and "Nice effort!" What could be more demoralizing than "Nice effort!" even when it's attached to an A paper? And this from a teacher who just that class ran a discussion on not giving empty praise when responding to student assignments.

I feel as if the work I'm doing is unremarkable, and I don't want (or think I'd deserve) an A just for "trying hard." I don't mind it being known that I've worked hard to achieve excellence, but it's the excellence I'd like to be known for more than the effort. Or perhaps I'm just so blazingly smart that my teachers are paralyzed and unable to comment.

2 comments:

OlmanFeelyus said...

Yes, I find it frustrating not getting good feedback on work. It could be that you are a bit above the class level in talent and thus the teacher doesn't have that much to say. Things will get more challenging, I would imagine. I'm taking a technical writing class, which is a requirment, but for which I am way overqualified. Not that I'm all that great a writer, but it is aimed at people who don't have a lot of practice writing and there is tons of business writing like memos and instructions and reports of which I have done hundreds. But I don't get much feedback in that class either.

Remember this feeling, though, when you are grading other students' work in the future!

Mustapha Mond said...

You're absolutely right. I keep hearing how we're "doomed" to teach the same way we were taught. I'll have to make sure my own experiences as a student overcome that fate.