Thursday, November 11, 2004

I am a crazy liberal extremist

A moment of reassurance in the wake of all this crazy talk about economic conservatism:

Take heart, for I am just like you. I want clean air, clean drinking water, and safe food. I want everybody in America, if not the world, to have affordable access to superb medical care. I want a 100% literacy rate. I want gay couples to enjoy all the same rights as heterosexual couples. I want marijuana to be legalized for more than just medicinal purposes (though I do not do drugs and am generally no fun at parties). I want to be able to buy cool toys (video games, mp3 players, cars, clothes, candy) without worrying about my purchases supporting companies that exploit workers, abuse customers, and ruin the environment.

I revel in a righteous cause. I watch the West Wing (seasons 1 & 2 on DVD) and dream that I'm Sam Seaborn. Or sometimes I'm Toby or the president. I call my best friend Leo (when nobody else can hear) and he calls me Jed. The point being, not that I have a rich fantasy life, but that there are no ulterior motives here, and what I am most interested in is finding the best way for all of us to get the things we want, to create the kind of world we want to live in.

Go crazy.

No comments: