Sunday, May 28, 2006

Brett Ratner's mutant power

is the ability to suck the life out of a perfectly good movie franchise.

X-Men 3 sucked. It sucked bad. There are so many structural flaws in the story, it would fail Screenwriting 101. I won't go into detail here since doing so would require lots of spoilers, but I will say that if you do see it, be prepared to endure pointless scenes, a pointless plot, empty characters, and lame action sequences. I want my hour and 45 minutes back. And I want to beat the crap out of Brett Ratner. And I wish there were some way to punish Hollywood for making movies that they must know are crap. Unfortunately, you don't know if a movie is any good until after you've seen it, and by then Hollywood already has your money. I'm going to write a letter demanding my money back.

2 comments:

Buzby said...

I saw it. It was so bad that I fell asleep in parts.

Steve Miller said...

Wow, I enjoyed it.

Ratner definitely changed gears a bit, but I got plenty of "message" from the first two movies (which I also liked).

Sometimes I just want to see mutants kicking ass. Is that so wrong?

But clearly some things were undeveloped, which made certain scenes and characters, as you say, pointless. My guess is that there were plans to (or even footage for) more scenes that make Angel more relevant, for example. I do know that one apparently pointless scene was rendered poignant by a short after-credits scene (after ALL the credits, sheesh).

My main criticism would be that it was too short, that a couple of additional scenes would have made it much better.