Friday, June 02, 2006

BBBS

On June 15th I meet with the kind folks at Big Brothers Big Sisters to have an interview for becoming a Big Brother. I originally started thinking of joining BBBS almost a year ago because it would look good on my resume when I apply for teaching jobs, but I wasn't truly motivated to do it until my success as a tutor showed me that, gosh darn it, kids love me. So now I'm psyched about the prospect of getting to spend a minimum of two to four days a month hanging out with a kid in need just because I think it's going to be a blast.

The challenge is going to be finding ways to entertain a 7- to 16-year-old on Long Island (aka: Dullsville). At the risk of getting ahead of myself, I've started planning stuff to do. At the top of the list is dressing up like super heros and hanging out in parks or at the mall looking for villains to fight and people to rescue. Or we'll play skee ball or check out the aquarium. If I'm paired with an older kid, we'll go drag racing.

And if you've got any activity suggestions, send them my way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you be my big brother?! Fighting crime while shoe shopping is exactly what I want to do when I grow up. Skee ball and aquarium gazing are close seconds.

WeSailFurther said...

That sounds very cool. Not just kids like you Mustapha, not just kids!

Playing catch would be cool. Stuff like that. Frisbee.

Once you know how old the kids is going to be it'll be easier to come up with ideas.

Crumbolst said...

Just don't take the kid to the ---- Island Game Farm, which is so friggin lame.

Mustapha Mond said...

I haven't been to the game farm in ages. Is the ape that throws shit at you still there?

Anonymous said...

Don't remember ape sh*t. The best part is petting the snake. That doesn't quite sound right. How about bike riding? Just bought one. Or flying kites? Getting one soon. Psyched!