Thursday, May 11, 2006

Nickeled and Dimed

This is a post I've been wanting to write for a while now, but it just gets me so pissed off I haven't done it. But I'm awake now, much to early, and its on my mind, so I'm figuring maybe if I write it I can get back to sleep.

Over the past several months, assorted businesses have nickeled and dimed me out of nearly $1000 dollars. Really this has been going on for my entire life -- I'm used to get fucked out of money here and there and knowing that my only recourse is to spend months making telephone calls and writing letters. Frankly, I don't have the time for that, nor can my heart take it. What I need is an army of lawyers to handle it, but until I'm rich enough to afford them, I've just going to have to go on getting screwed.

For fun, though, let's review all the companies that have given me the shaft this past year.

Our first culprit is Verizon. After I moved out of my apartment last July, I transfered our phone and DSL bill into my roommate's name. Verizon charged me a $50 fee for canceling our DSL. Yet I did not cancel it -- I transfered it. In fact, when I called Verizon to clear this up, they admitted that I never canceled the DSL and shouldn't have been charged for it. They then proceeded to deny that I had been charged for it, even though the charge is clearly noted in big bold letters on my bill. My roommate and I spent three months (yes three full months, calling at least once a week each) trying to sort this out (Verizon had fucked up our billing in a number of other ways at the same time, but the DSL thing was where I was getting the shaft), and in the end we just had to give up -- the time and energy involved in fighting with them was no longer worth the $50.

Next is American Express. I order a $35 gift card for my brother for X-Mas and it never showed up. I called and called and called and nobody there could give me a straight answer as to whether or not they even had a record of my purchase, let alone how to get my money back. Again, the time and energy spent fighting with them was soon no longer worth the $35, so I stopped calling.

The worst offender is Oxford Healthcare. Now, I've been screwed hardcore -- for thousands and thousands of dollars -- by other HMOs in the past. To make a long story short, if not for my parents being well-to-do, my right leg would end at the knee thanks to Aetna who kept lying to me about what treatments they would or would not cover, and this nearly drove me into the poor house. Anyway, I've learned to be wary, so when I signed up for Oxford back in January, I thought I'd done all my homework: made all the right phone calls, read all the right fine print, asked all the right questions. How wrong I was. After once again being repeatedly misinformed about which doctors Oxford would cover, I cancelled my membership with them and started petitioning for my money back. I'd paid in advance for three months of membership: January, February, and March. But by the end of February it was apparent Oxford was running a massive scam, so my membership cancellation date is February 28. You'd think this would entitled me to a refund of my March membership fees since, you know, I wasn't receiving any services from them at all at that point. But no. Oxford insists they get to keep that money. To recap: Oxford argues that they don't owe you anything even when their representatives repeatedly misinform you about what doctors and services are and aren't covered, and they don't owe you a refund for months in which you aren't even a member anymore. It's fucking outrageous to the tune of +$700.

All of this is enough to make me want to buy a bazooka. But instead I will spend today (my day off), writing yet more fruitless letters and making yet more fruitless phone calls.

2 comments:

Crumbolst said...

I know exactly how you feel, Mustapha. My most recent headaches are due to Sears warrantee repair service.

One thing I really hate is how every customer service provider starts the conversation by telling you that the previous one was wrong and shouldn't have told you what they told you, and that they are going to tell you the right information. It is a never-ending cycle of people claiming to know better than the previous schmuck.

OlmanFeelyus said...

It is absolutely incredible and so maddening. You feel like you are the only one getting screwed this way and then you realize they are doing it to everybody and constantly getting away with it!

I had almost the exact same thing here with my ISP(the phone company, of course). When my girlfriend and I moved in together, I had her old account moved here and added my name to it. I paid for the change with my credit card. 3 months later, she casually mentioned that she was the one paying for the internet. It turns out we both had been paying and we had two parallel accounts at the same address! It took a few phone calls to get that one settled.

I seriously think that there is some level of complicity in this, that it's not just incompetence. I think they set up systems, both information systems and management systems that make these mistakes proliferate. It's a lot of extra revenue with no overhead. And most of the time they have some kind of partial monopoly, making it difficult for the consumer to easily switch (and of course they lock you in with their frickin' contracts). It's really a terrible crime.

And don't even get me started on the renting the dsl modem thing. I'll go nuts.