Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Blog reflects life

This was originally a comment sent on a private email list, but I felt like it was worth adding as an actual blog post:

The blog has become an interesting phenomenon in terms of how much it reflects my life -- or at least how I perceive my life. On the one hand, you're absolutely right that what's up there is big important stuff to me. On the other, whenever I go back and read it, I think "anybody who doesn't know me is getting a really narrow and skewed sense of who I am." But at the same time, now that I'm out on LI and don't get to socialize much, what's up there really is the bulk of my private life. I'm definitely at my most dynamic when I get to be around people as much as possible, but when that's the case, there's no need for those people to check in with my blog. When that's not the case, my life becomes narrow and I feel like it's not really representing me actual life even though, in a way, it is.

1 comment:

OlmanFeelyus said...

I know blogs are mostly self-indulgent and undisciplined garbage, but I am finding them to fill an important role in my life. I think that it's just natural as you get older that your social life shrinks. You get an SO, kids, full-time job. You can't stay up as late. You move away. Etc., etc.

It's nice to have a window of communication where you can share your thoughts with your friends and they can hear about you. I don't think we should substitute computer socialization for real socialization, but when you have no choice, it's a nice alternative.