Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Braces off

Twenty-seven months later, the braces are finally off. Amazing. Everything still isn't finished, however. I have a temporary bond holding one of my teeth in place because it has suffered a lot of bone loss, and I'm getting a temporary bridge on Feb 6 to replace a missing tooth, and the final bridge goes in about a week later.

It's been a weird experience, having braces as an adult -- one I'm still reflecting on. Somewhere within it all is a commentary on American values. I'll write more about it later.

5 comments:

WeSailFurther said...

um. i just read your complete profile.

all i have to say is, uh, you forgot "anal rape metaphors" on your interests lists.

wake up, man.

WeSailFurther said...

oh, congrats on the braces coming off. now our faces won't get locked together.

Mustapha Mond said...

Fixed!

Now pucker up!

Anonymous said...

Just curious... did you wake until later in life to get braces or did you suffer an accident?

Mustapha Mond said...

I had braces when I was a kid -- like 4th or 5th grade -- but my orthodontist was a real madman, so, soon after they came off, my teeth went to hell. The whole thing was such a lousy experience that I tried to deal with it by saying, "whatever, fuck it, these are my teeth and that's that." It got to be too much, however -- too much of a self-esteem killer. I broke down and got a consult with my current orthodontist (www.coolsmiles.com) and was so impressed that I agreed pretty much on the spot to go for the braces. I wish I hadn't waited so long.

And I keep bumping into people (adults) who are thinking about it, and I try to convince them to go for it. If money's not an issue (and they ARE freakin' expensive -- I actually took out a loan through CareCredit), just do it. Braces are painless these days (I had, tops, two total weeks of discomfort over more than two years of braces), and you can get 'em so they're practically invisible.

Also, several girls told me they were cute. And one of my 6-year-old tutees now desperately wants braces even though his teeth are fine.