Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The ethics of continuing to shop at Small Dog Electronics

I try to shop at Small Dog Electronics as often as possible when I need computer stuff. I prefer to support them because I like to support smaller, mom and pop type stores instead of big chain monsters. And I like that as a business they support a number of lefty causes. But pretty much every order I've ever made through them has had something wrong with it. I've gotten the wrong stuff, I've gotten broken stuff, I've gotten broken stuff that was then replaced with the wrong stuff... on and on and on. It's maddening. They did once go above and beyond the call of duty, getting me a laptop overnight, which was great. But it's hard to let that outweigh my annoyance at so many other orders having gone wrong.

So, should I stick by Small Dog no matter what? Should I tolerate these inconveniences and take comfort in the knowledge I'm helping to keep the world safe for the little guy and for businesses that give a hoot? Or is it time to move on to Mac Mall, who has not yet made a mistake on one of my orders and who also has great prices -- even though one day they might turn into the next Wal-Mart?

I suppose it's a question of values: reward the business that actually does the best job at being a business? Or reward the business that does the better job at being a socially conscious corporate citizen?

4 comments:

Jason L said...

It's really the small businesses that need to make the extra effort to be better than their giant competition. If they can't (or won't) make that effort then we have to cut them loose.

Crumbolst said...

I agree with lantz.

Keenan said...

I think you have to cut ém loose. however the problem is that they may never know why they lost a potential lifetime customer and will probably simply assume it was the "Big Guys" stealing the business of the poor small business owner. I also dont think it should take an extra effort. Just give the customer what they ask for at a fair price, and with relative ease.

Mustapha Mond said...

I sent them a letter after the last order got screwed up. I tried to be gentle but firm. They were nice and helpful in response. They're all really cool, nice people there. But the service is driving me batty. Alas. Anyway, if I do drop them, they'll know why. And you're right -- an important part of the store+customer experience is that we let stores know why we choose (or choose not to) shop with them.