Thursday, August 30, 2007

Mucus

Presently, I have a cold. It's an annoying cold because it's not bad enough to keep me drugged up and bedridden, and not tame enough that I can go about my day feeling only minor inconvenience. Instead, it's lingering in this middle zone of distracting illness. Every time I move, my nose runs. If I stand up, my sinuses drain and it runs worse. If I sit down, my sinuses clog and I can't breathe. If I get in bed I have to get turning from side to side so each nostril gets equal opportunity to be clogged and runny. I've used most of a box of tissues and am considering switching over to towels for the sake of the environment.

I am reminded of Yossarian's jaundice: "Yossarian was in the hospital with a pain in his liver that fell just short of being jaundice. The doctors were puzzled by the fact that it wasn't quite jaundice. If it became jaundice they could treat it. If it didn't become jaundice and went away they could discharge him. But this just being short of jaundice all the time confused them."

At least, unlike Dunbar, I don't have to keep falling down on my face.

No comments: